Man Awarded $7.2 Million Payout After Being Poisoned By Popcorn Fumes
Sep 20, 2012 17:23
Imagine winning $7 million, but the downside is that you no longer can enjoy a bag of popcorn twice a day for the rest of your life? That's the dilemma that one Denver resident has to face on daily basis after he was poisoned by popcorn fumes.
According to Gawker, Wayne Watson won the $7 million lawsuit he filed against manufacturer Gilster-Mary Lee, also Kroger and Dillon Foods. Back in 2007, Watson was diagnosed with "microwave popcorn lung" as a result of eating two bags of artificially flavored popcorn a day for years:
"It's kind of a weird story isn't it? A guy gets sick by breathing in the toxic fumes of dicetyl that is on butter-flavored microwave popcorn in the sanctity of his own kitchen," said Watson.
"I haven't eaten a bag of popcorn since 2007. I hardly eat popcorn any
more. Occasionally we'll pop some on the stove the old fashioned way,"
While it might be weird, it is also a very real health risk. The chemical dicetyl that Watson was talking about has been linked to lung problems in workers in popcorn plants. Due to this, they no longer add the chemical to the artificial butter.